The Illinois “Invest in Kids Act” allows individuals and corporations to donate to Scholarship Granting Organizations (SGO). In the case of individuals, they can direct their gift to Trinity High School and receive a credit on their Illinois state tax returns of $.75 for every $1.00 donated, up to a maximum allowable donation of $1,000,000.
On Friday, December 1, the state of Illinois began taking applications from entities to become Scholarship Granting Organizations (SGOs). Over the next several days, we will learn which SGOs have been approved to take donations, but we expect there to be several.
Taxpayers must identify a SGO when applying for tax credits. We will distribute further information as SGOs are approved.
Also, a taxpayer must establish a “My Tax Illinois” account for filing either individual or business income to apply for the credit. We strongly encourage you to do that as soon as possible as this process can take up to two weeks tfor you to receive your P.I.N.
Do not wait until year-end to establish this account.
- Effective 12:00 a.m. on January 2, 2018, taxpayers may apply for credits online at My Tax Illinois. All of the available tax credits ($75 million, total gift amount $100 million) may be spoken for within the first few minutes or hours.
- The requirements to apply for credits are as follows:
1) the taxpayer’s name and address;
2) the amount the taxpayer will contribute;
3) the region for which the contribution will be made;
4) the SGO to which the contribution will be made; and
5) an acknowledgment that no credit may be taken for any qualified contribution for which the taxpayer claims a federal income tax deduction
- We expect there to be several SGOs within region 1, Cook County. If you want to direct a gift to Trinity, you should indicate Region 1 when applying for the credit.
- Region 1, as well as the other four regions in Illinois, has a maximum amount of allowable credits. If the region and state limits are not yet met, a taxpayer will automatically be approved and issued a Contribution Authorization Certificate (CAC) on a first-come, first served basis.
- Upon receipt of a CAC, the taxpayer has 60 days to make the proscribed contribution to a SGO. Any contributions received by the SGO more than 60 days after the receipt of the CAC by the taxpayer will not be eligible for tax credit. Individual taxpayers can indicate to the SGO that their contribution be directed to a specific school. Corporate taxpayers may not indicate that their contribution be directed to a specific school. Upon receipt of the contribution, a SGO will issue a Certificate of Receipt (COR) to the taxpayer.
For more information click here.
As with all charitable giving, you are encouraged to consult with your personal tax professional regarding a donation to the Illinois Tax Scholarship Program.
Please contact Chris Bollettino, 708-453-8396 with any questions.